Running a nonprofit involves multitasking on multiple fronts. From overseeing members to accounting, without forgetting about communication and events, there is always a lot to manage!
Without a doubt, you use various tools to manage all of the different aspects of your nonprofit on a daily basis. To do so, you probably use one tool for your website, another for your emails, and another different one for your events.
However, these tools are most likely not interconnected. Multiplying the number of programs used makes managing your nonprofit more complex, which can take its toll and reduce overall efficiency.
But there is hope! ERP systems are the bright light at the end of the tunnel.
ERP, short for “Enterprise Resource Planning”, is an integrated management system. It is an all-in-one software, offering all the different tools you need to manage your nonprofit on a daily basis.
Not convinced yet? Take a look at how an ERP software can benefit your nonprofit:
- Centralizing data
- Saving time when managing your nonprofit
- Improving data protection
- Helping reduce management costs
- Reduce training and complexity of use with a single software
Lastly, we will discuss what needs to be considered when choosing the right ERP software for your nonprofit.
An ERP Helps Centralize Your Nonprofit’s Data
From your members’ personal information to your accounting sheets, your nonprofit stores a lot of data.
By using various different tools, this information is often scattered. Even though you may easily know where to find it, you cannot link this data together automatically.
Additionally, no one is safe from the common mishaps of forgetting to add data into multiple tools or even mistakenly adding the same data twice.
With an ERP system, you are in the clear: all your data is stored on the same platform. This allows it to be linked together, from one function to another.
To understand how this all works, let’s take the example of the different stages your nonprofit goes through when Tom signs up to become a donor, using an ERP system:
- Signing up: Tom signs up to become a donor on your ERP software by filling in his personal information. This information is saved in the software and used automatically in the following steps.
- Tax receipt: The information Tom provided will automatically generate a tax receipt with his correct amount and details on.
- Emailing: An email is automatically sent welcoming Tom to your nonprofit and thanking him for his donation. His personalized tax receipt will also be attached. This email will have been designed by you beforehand on the ERP software.
- Accounting: The donation amount is automatically saved as an accounting entry.
- CRM: The donor’s information is automatically saved in the CRM for future communication. His donation history can also be viewed in the database.
The best part of all of this? At no point did you have to intervene during Tom’s inscription!
Since Tom started using an ERP,
he's no longer troubled about losing data!
An ERP Saves You Time When Managing Your Nonprofit
Using different tools to manage the various needs of your nonprofit leads to doing the same action multiple times.
Imagine this: you want to launch a donation campaign to support your project and wish to appeal only to your key donors.
Having to use different software means:
- Going onto the software you use for donations
- Identifying your key donors
- Exporting the list with the relevant information
- Possibly sorting through it
- Identifying the key donors in your database
- Importing the list into your emailing software
- Creating and sending your communication campaign
Going through all these steps takes time. Plus, there are lots of points at which a mistake can be made which will cost you even more time.
With an ERP software, you no longer need to juggle between different systems as you have everything you need in one unique platform!
Indeed, as we saw with Tom’s donation example: everything is done automatically.
With an ERP software, the process to create your donation campaign is a lot shorter:
- Identify your key donors in your database
- Contact them via the emailing tool in the same ERP software
- That’s it!
And the cherry on top: in each donor’s profile you can easily find their donation history and the list of emails sent to them.
The ease of use of a single software in Tom’s example is applicable to other functions as well:
- Signing up for a membership online
- Your events
- The communication of your nonprofit
- Purchases on the online shop
- Donation management
Once a process is set up, you no longer need to intervene. It is also good to know that there is always the possibility to enter information manually when necessary!
An ERP Improves Your Nonprofit’s Data Protection
By using an ERP software, all your nonprofit’s data is centralized on one unique platform and is no longer spread out across different systems.
You therefore have a lower risk of losing data or your members’ information.
Using a single software also means having only one password to remember. No more time wasted sending out emails to recover those lost passwords!
It’s also possible that you are not the only person using your nonprofit’s management tools. However, and we can never stress this enough, sharing one account with one password between different admins should always be avoided!
With an ERP system, you can generally share access with the admins of your choice, to all or only certain features, depending on their responsibilities. For example, if you want the treasurer of your nonprofit to have access to the accounts but not to the online ticketing of your events, you can set that up!
AssoConnect’s software is designed with collaboration in mind - you can easily edit who has access to which features!
An ERP for Nonprofits Reduces Your Management Costs
As the number of different systems used increases, so does the number of subscriptions.
Even though they may individually represent an insignificant expense, adding them all up together represents a real cost to your nonprofit.
And what’s more, when your nonprofit and its different needs increase, so will the cost of each individual software, as you will without a doubt be led to:
- Increasing the number of email campaigns
- Needing to manage a more complex accounting system
- Wanting to organize more events
- Wishing to create an online store
Additionally, even if not looking at the prices, these different subscriptions will have a real impact on your volunteers’ time. The complexity of having to use multiple programs will demotivate your volunteers.
Having one unique software will drastically reduce the cost of your overall management tools for now, and in the future when your nonprofit grows.
One day using an ERP software
and Benjamin is never going back!
An ERP to Reduce the Complexity and the Training Costs Associated With Your Management Tools
When you use different tools, you need to be trained in each one of them, but you also need to train all the people that will use them. If your committee changes, you will also need to train newcomers on each and every software.
However, as an ERP software is an all-in-one system, the training will be a lot faster! ERPs are generally designed to have coherent and intuitive interfaces.
Therefore, if you master one of its features, you’ll quickly get the hang of the other features!
In the case of committee members changing, the transition will be less complex with a single ERP software.
As we have just seen, an ERP software offers considerable benefits when managing a nonprofit. Not only does it allow you to build on all the different functions of your nonprofit, but it also helps reduce the precious time all your members spend on management tools!
Once you’ve decided to take the leap and transition to an ERP system, you can be faced with a difficult choice. To make sure you choose the right ERP for your nonprofit, here are a few things to consider:
- Do the functionalities of the ERP software meet the digital needs of your nonprofit?
- Is the ERP software managed by a trustworthy company?
- Does your nonprofit have the financial resources necessary to subscribe to an ERP software?
- Is the ERP software simple enough to be used by the members of your nonprofit?
The simplest way to know if an ERP software meets your needs is just to try one out!
Click below to get in touch with our team and start your 30 day free trial!