If you are in the process of creating a website for your nonprofit, congratulations!
A new website is a big project that requires a strong and collaborative team, so we want to give you some of our tips to help you achieve your goals and your deadlines.
Here are our four best tips to make sure everything runs smoothly:
Tip 1: Appoint a Team Leader
First and foremost, you need to appoint a team leader. This should be someone who can make sure everyone is working together and that your deadlines are met.
We suggest that you choose someone with great leadership skills, maybe even yourself!
Tip 2: Build Your Team
Next, select your team members. It is important to build your team with motivated members who are willing to commit the necessary time and effort to build the website. It is a big task!
We believe the perfect team has between two to four people.
Ideally, your team should be composed of three main profiles.
We suggest including these three types of personalities in your team:
- The efficient one: Someone who is rational, direct, and knows how to make decisions.
- The creative one: Someone with vision. Creativity is a big part of website design, so choose someone artsy!
- The thinker: Someone who will dive deep into how best to convey your mission, passion, and ideas. This person will know the best way to create content.
Tip 3: Choose Your Advisors
Advisors are people who can offer advice and review your work with fresh eyes.
We recommend you select these types of advisors to get the most from your website:
- A grammar, spelling, and punctuation pro. Having a good copywriter to consult is a great way to ensure your content is clear and correct.
- The potential website visitor. Ask a member or donor to take a look at your website and give their feedback. It is always nice to have a second opinion, and there could be small mistakes you have missed
- An expert. This is someone who has experience in website building or design, and can offer industry-specific advice.
Tip 4: Set a Deadline
Setting a deadline is very important, because it helps to set a common goal for your team to complete everything on time.
We suggest a deadline that is 2-3 weeks before your official website launch date. This will give you some wiggle room if you run into any issues or last-minute changes.
If you start from your deadline and work backwards, you will have a better picture of your timeline and understanding of how best to divide up your tasks.
Divide the Tasks to be Completed on a Weekly Basis
It is important to set small goals and deadlines for you and your team to stay on track.
We suggest that you create small time periods either on a weekly or bi-monthly basis to complete tasks.
At the end of this period, you can have a team meeting to make sure everything is up to date. It is a great way to accomplish small wins and check in with your team!
We suggest that you use a planning tool such as Trello. It is easy to use, free, and simplifies project management! We like to use it at AssoConnect.
With AssoConnect, you can create a beautiful website for your nonprofit, even without tech skills! Try it free for 30 days.